| Kashiwara city is situated in the south-east of the
Osaka Plain, near the Osaka and Nara prefectural borders.|
From the Nara Basin many rivers converge into the Yamato River, and cross the Kongo and Ikoma mountains into the Osaka Plain.
Two thirds of Kashiwara is occupied by mountains, and the Yamato River flows through the center of town.
Only 20 km's from central Osaka, Kashiwara boasts a beautiful natural environment of mountains, rivers and ravines that make it a very pleasant city which to live.
There are many vineyards at the foot of the mountains, and the grapes are picked from summer until fall.
Kashiwara is known for the wine made from these grapes. In years past, Kashiwara was famous for its 'Kawachi' cotton.
Today, Kashiwara city manufactures cotton for the production of yukata, accounting for 25% of the yukata made throughout Japan.
In the Kashiwara area there are ancient tombs that date back about 30,000 years.
At the foot of the Kashiwara's mountains there are ruins from the Pre-Jomon and Jomon and Yayoi periods. Mt.Matuoka, Mt.Tamate and Takaida are famous throughout Japan for their ancient ruins and burial tombs.
Also in the area is the ruins of Tanabe Temple, which is famous. In the Muromachi period, Kashiwara was in the midst of rivalries and hostilities that resulted in war, which finally ended with Oda and Toyotomi taking control.
That next area was the Tokugawa shougunate. The Kashiwara area was under the direct control of the Shogunate and it held a strategic position in the Osaka Prefectural area.
In the year 1704 the course of the river was changed to its present course.
Jinbei Naka was the engineer who was responsible for redirecting the course of the river towards Sakai. This solved the problem of flooding in the North where the river originally flowed.
As a result of this formidable accomplishment, many new rice fields were created in the former Yamato River's flooded area.
Kashiwara prospered as a result of the change in the course of the river.
Osaka, which was the main trading center of the area, became accessible by Kashiwara Boats.
In 1889, construction of the first railroad in Kashiwara was completed, and soon after an industrial transportation road was opened.
This led to Kashiwara's economic development.
In 1939, the towns of Katakami and Katashimo merged with Kashiwara town.
In 1956, Kokubu town also merged with Kashiwara town. Kashiwara town became an official city in 1958.
|Kashiwara City Office
City Area 25.39 S.K
|City Survey JPEG